[avatar user="tonyw" /] Another project from
The Wood Whisperer Guild. I really enjoyed building this. The exterior is Bubinga veneer. Bubinga is a hardwood from west Africa. The project included several technics that were new to me, veneering, corner inlays and hinge installation. It certainly isn't perfect, but it will do!
Click any picture to start a slide show.
Originally I was going to make two humidors. Soon I decided to focus on just one. The top and bottom are MDF (which is nice and heavy and provides a stable substrate for the veneer). The sides are cedar.
The Bubinga veneer.
Moistened, to make it pliable so it won’t crack in the press. It also make the grain come to life.
I glued the veneer to all sides, top and bottom.
The cauls (vertical boards) help spread the pressure from the clamps evenly.
Groove cut to accept the cherry. The cherry will eventually be where the top will be cut off the box.
The lower groove will hold the bottom.
Protecting the veneer from the glue used on the cherry trim.
Clamp down the trim.
The same cherry will be used to trim all the edges. This is required to protect the fragile perimeter of the veneer
Putting the box together.
Installing the top.
Clamping the trim in place.
When cutting the groves for the vertical trim, I tore out the top trim.
I decided to replace it. I routed out as much as I could and used a chissel on the rest.
Installed cherry trim a second time on the top.
I cut the top off the box at the table saw. The blade height was set to cut almost all the way through.
The top was completely removed with a hand saw.
Laying out the hinge position.
I didn’t photograph it, but I also made an inner liner from cedar. This helps maintain the proper humidity in the humidor.
I finished the outside with a simple wiping varnish. Four coats, followed by a good waxing.
Hopefully, it will never be this empty again. 🙂